Geometric Abstract Painting in Repurposed Frame

There are many old picture frames, which in their day would have been expensive, but which, over time succumbed to scratch marks and dents. The trouble is that you can’t really restore most of them, and you can’t just paint over them, as they have a shiny varnish which the paint won’t stick to.

I purchased a rotary power tool with sanding bits especially to get into all the difficult areas where my rheumatoid hands don’t want to go. My idea was basically to give these frames a whole bunch of dents while sanding the varnish off, and to then make a DIY crackle effect to give the frames an “antique chic” look.

The undercoat of this frame was black, which, once dry, I painted PVA glue onto, and straight away applied white acrylic which I had previously mixed with some cornstarch to give it a slightly coarse texture. I took a few snapshots with my phone to give you all a glimpse at how it turned out:

Abstract circle in square crackle side 2

Abstract circle in square crackle1

Art Plastique in a Repurposed Frame

It took me a while but I successfully managed to sand the stain of a nice old frame which was a bit battered and bruised. Today I went about trying to give it a bit of an “antique chic” style by attempting a crackle effect for the first time. It didn’t come off as intended, but it’s not terrible.

I then began to play around with positioning the black hand I did with fused plastic, along with some of the cut-up collages of back of receipts I’ve been collecting from the supermarket.

Plastic had with coupons in frame

The receipts have been covered over with the translucent plastic of shopping bags collected from the very same store. I hope the work gets people thinking about the human hand and what it has brought about, and also how our hand is kind of forced to purchase plastic, but can perhaps repurpose some of the junk and discarded stuff for the sake of artistic expression.

Mixed Media Abstract Painting with Reconstituted Frame

There are so many discarded frames out there which really were good looking in their day, but have been through the wars over the years. I purchased one for about two dollars, removed the faded old print within, and painted glue over the top, upon which I then sprinkled talcum powder. The reason for this was that I was making no real progress trying to sand it back, so I thought the powder would give me a new surface for the successive paint layers to grip onto.
Then I chose to make a DIY texture paste by mixing one part white acrylic, one part talcum powder, and half part PVA glue, with water to achieve my desired consistency. The surface of the frame was already dented in a number of places, so my aim was to give the paint a rough and bumpy look.
I have added a close up so that you can see how I got some incidental crackle effect, which was unintended, but I think I will use this intentionally in the future.
With the circle series that I’m working on, I am purchasing frames first, and making the pieces to go with them.

reconstituted frame

 

reconstituted frame close